If you are using an iPhone, then it becomes very important to check the health of your phone’s battery from time to time. By this you can know how you device battery is performing and when your iPhone’s battery needs replacement. Poor battery backup results in frequent charging of phone and thus you will be able to use it for shorter duration. Also it will affects your device’s performance.
In the recent times, almost all mobile batteries use Lithium ion and the technology is also complex. Compared with old generation technologies, Lithium ion batteries charge faster, last longer and have a very high power density. The rechargeable batteries are consumable, have a limited life span, and as the battery is getting older, its capacity and performance also declines which also affects the performance of iPhone.
So, in this article, we will going to explain you the steps how yo Check iPhone battery health & performance . Also following these steps you can increase battery backup time and performance.
How to Check Your iPhone Battery Health?
If you are using iOS 11.3 or above version, then you can easily check your battery health in Settings. And if you have a device of older version, then it is recommended to update your device to the latest version to check battery health.
For Checking Battery Health:
1. Go to Settings
2.Then click on “Battery“.
3. Then click on “Battery Health“. The Battery Health Page will show you the remaining battery power, the closure to 100% it is, the better.
When you scroll down the battery health page, you will find options like Maximum capacity and Peak Performance Capacity. These options will provide you information about the power delivering capability and operating capacity of your mobile’s battery.
Below you will see if your device is being slowed down by Apple’s Performance Management Feature.
For example, if you have an older version of iPhone that shows battery capacity of 94%, then it means that Apple has not yet throttled the phone’s performance and your battery is currently supporting Normal Peak Performance.
In the same page, you will see whether your iPhone needs a service and you can also turn off the performance management feature that’s throttling the device.
What is ‘Performance Management/Throttling’ Feature?
Performance Management is that feature of iPhone that throttles the device’s performance on your behalf to keep the phone running and save battery.
You can turn off/disable performance management manually, but your iPhone’s battery will drain quickly, as the iPhone will operates close to its maximum limit.
Due to battery degradation, if your mobile shuts down, then the battery health page screen will inform you that “performance management” feature has been turned on automatically to prevent this from happening again.
There will also be an option to disable the automatic performance management throttling feature. But once disabled, you can’t enable the feature until you experience another shutdown. Your device will automatically enable it if that happens again.
Also note that all iPhones include some basic performance management to make sure that the battery and overall system operates as designed and all the internal components are protected. This includes behavior in cold and hot environments, and internal voltage management. This is required for safety purpose and cannot be turned off.
How To Disable Performance Throttling on an iPhone?
If you have an iPhone version of iOS 11.3 and above, then only you can enable and disable the performance throttling feature of iPhone.
To Enable/Disable Performance Throttling Feature;
1. Go to Settings, then click on “Battery“.
2. Then click on “Battery Health“. Here you’ll see a screen with a link to more information about batteries. Below that, you will find your battery’s maximum capacity and peak performance capability.
3. Under the “Peak Performance Capability” check if your battery indicates normal peak performance or if performance management has been enabled. If it shows that performance management is enabled, then the iPhone throttling feature is enabled.
4. If the iPhone performance throttling is enabled, you will find an option to disable it.
5. Tap on disable if you want to disable the automatic throttling feature.
What Do Percentages in Maximum Capacity Indicates?
In the Battery Health menu, there is a percentage shown that indicates the maximum capacity of your iPhone’s battery, followed by a message that shows peak performance capability of your phone’s battery.
- 100 percent: Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance
- 95 percent: This iPhone has experienced an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power. Performance management has been applied to help prevent this from happening again. Disable…
- 79 percent or less: Your battery’s health is significantly degraded. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can replace the battery to restore full performance and capacity. More about service options…
- Unknown: This iPhone is unable to determine battery health. An Apple Authorized Service Provider can service the battery. More about service options…
What is Maximum Battery Capacity of iPhone?
Maximum Battery Capacity of iPhone measures the device battery capacity relative to when the device was new.
A used battery will have lower capacity as the battery gradually ages which results in quick discharge of battery. When you check the maximum Battery capacity on the battery health page, then it will show slightly less than 100% because of the ageing of battery. This is due to the length of time span between the production of iPhone and when it is activated.
A normal battery is designed in such a way that it can retain up to 80% of its original capacity on 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal condition.
What is Peak Performance Capability of iPhone?
Peak Performance Capability of iPhone is the ability to supply adequate power by the battery to perform demanding tasks. It is measured to check whether the battery is operating at its peak capacity, or whether the performance management feature of iPhone are blocking peak power.
If the iPhone battery is unable to supply adequate power to the important components such as processor and GPU, then phone may experience unexpected shutdown.
When your phone shuts down automatically, then Peak Performance Capability is automatically enabled by iOS. This feature applies performance management on the device. That means iOS controls the power required by the CPU, GPU and other components, so that they do not draw more power than the battery can deliver. In other words, iPhone will no longer shuts down unexpectedly, but in certain situation it’ll be somewhat slower.
How To Know When iPhone’s Battery Needs Replacement?
If you are using iOS 11.3 and above version, then by checking the maximum battery capacity and peak performance capability in the battery health menu, you can get an idea of when to replace your iPhone’s battery.
If your device runs normally, then you will see a message showing that your device is operating at normal peak performance. If your battery is worn and needs an replacement, then you will see a warning message that battery is degraded and needs replacement.
But if your iPhone is running on iOS 11.2 or below, then you will not find any battery health menu in the settings. However, for older version of iPhone, there are alternate ways to check if your device’s battery needs replacement.
- If you have to recharge your battery in every few hours, even in low usage, then it might be time for a new battery.
- If your iPhone dies unexpectedly even when the battery is 10% or higher, then this could be a indication of replacing battery.
- If your Phone only works plugged it or charger is connected, then you need to get a new battery.
- And if you’re looking for more scientific approach, then you can download Battery Health App which gives a detailed report of your battery capacity, power usage, etc.
How To Maximize Battery Life of an iPhone?
If you want to ensure that you phone’s battery last for longer time and don’t gets discharged quickly, then you can follow the below steps to give your phone a long battery backup time.
- Turn OFF Location and Bluetooth
- Disable unnecessary Background Running Apps
- Reducing the brightness level or set the Auto brightness feature ON
- Use Airplane Mode when you don’t need to be connected to the internet
- Disable Always-On Display feature
- Use static wallpapers instead of live wallpapers
So if you follow the above mentioned tips while using your phone, then you can definitely increase your phone’s battery backup time & can save much of your battery without the need of frequent charging or replacement.
Thanks for Reading!